Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 1- Recap

Even though I actually wrote a post on this blog earlier, I thought I should update it now that I am done for the night.

So the helpful people at NaNoWriMo have basically figured out in order to complete your goal of writing 50,000 words by the end of the month, you need to write approximately 1,667 words a day.  I, like most overachieving newbies I imagine, exceeded that goal and wrote 2,566 words.  I really want to erase about 2,500 words so I am not sure it really counts.  I'm trying to take the helpful advice sent out by the NaNo folks to tell my inner editor to take a hike, but the thing is, it's all very satisfying to reach or exceed a word count goal, but it does not mean much if the words are total crap!

This all sounds overly pessimistic.  The truth is I loved every minute of it.  I loved actually writing.  I have wanted to do this for so long and this "competition" gave me the very excuse to at least try.  I still have no clue where my story is going, but overall I am happy.  I have words on paper.  2,566 words to be exact.  I am actually writing a story.  I may even have a finished product at some point.  Something I can look at, and even if nothing else happens, I can say I accomplished my goal, for even just this little time, I was a writer.  So I can't help but be excited.

To recap, I more than met my first goal of 1,667 words (even if I had to physically restrain myself from pushing the delete button) and I am ready to start day 2.  All it took was a couple cups of coffee, some good music (I'm listening to Of Monsters and Men right now) and a few pieces of candy from my kids' Halloween stash.  Don't judge.

Heres hoping everyone else had a good first day and that tomorrow is successful too!  Happy writing.

PS- I have to also send out a HUGE congrats to E on her admission to graduate school.  So excited for you!  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment